Wednesday 22 September 2010

Women in Jeans: Ted Lapidus and the Beauty of Feminist Fashion.

Ted Lapidus did everything first. From skintight jumpsuits, to Safari Chic and unisex fashion....the world of feminism as well as fashion has alot to thank him for.

Blue jeans were, prior to Lapidus, an item of anti-fashion; he borrowed it from the workers and gave it to the women and men of the street.



The power of the woman in a pair of jeans is amazing; it makes anti-feminists rise: "her jeans signal that you may have to deal with her "GID" – "gender identity disorder." Her jeans are saying: "I don't want to be a woman. I don't want to look good for men. I fear and distrust men. I want male prerogatives." (http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=8444) ... comments like this make me even more aware of the importance of Women In Jeans.  

Lapidus put women in a unisex item; in a physical worker's hardwearing item, in an item that won't need darning. Most importantly for me he put women in an item of clothing that makes us feel comfortable to do anything we want. A dress suits me very well for many days of the week, but that's just my choice. I would feel enormously disempowered if I was told not to wear that pair of comfy old jeans when I feel like going for a yomp in the hills, or on the day of my period, or just on the day you want to wear blue..

Women in Blue Jeans are a sign of feminism; but to your average woman and girl they are a a sign of female strength and our all purpose, nature. Whether they are aware of it or not.

A gorgeous Ted Lapidus late 70's Couture dress is available here: Ted Lapidus



No comments: